Uzbekistan has been carrying out step-by-step reforms to introduce ICT in all spheres, including public administration and the provision of public services, in recent years. This helped to achieve significant progress in implementation of the e-government concept in the country, in particular, the creation of an ICT-based effective system for dialogue with the people.
The rapid development of ICT, opening up new opportunities, nevertheless, requires expansion of the scale of state support aimed at strengthening the country's position in the global ICT market.
In order to further develop production of software for information and communication technologies in the country in accordance with international standards, to support domestic developers in expanding production of high-quality, competitive software products, as well as to address other tasks envisaged by the State Program for Implementing the Strategy for Five Priority Areas development of the Republic of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021 and the Year of Dialogue with the People and Human Interest, expand exports of ICT goods, stimulate attraction of domestic and foreign investments to the sphere, it was decided to establish Mirzo Ulugbek Innovation Center.
The Innovation Center was established in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan No. PD-5099 from June 30, 2017 “On measures for cardinal improvement of conditions for development of information technologies industry in the Republic" and Resolution No. 631 of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan from 15 August 2017 “On measures to organize the activity of the Innovation Center for Support of Development and Implementation of Information Technologies “Mirzo Ulugbek Innovation Center”.
According to the presidential decree, the main activities of the Innovation Center are:
- Creation of necessary organizational, technical and financial-economic conditions for expanding interaction of economic entities and higher educational institutions in production and sale of information technology products on the domestic and foreign markets;
- Assistance to residents of the Innovation Center in attracting foreign investments for implementation of competitive ICT projects in the domestic and foreign markets;
- Participation in providing employment for graduates of higher educational institutions and professional colleges with specialization in information technologies, including by supporting gifted youth in implementing start-up projects;
- Organization of advanced training and retraining of personnel in the field of ICT through short and medium-term specialized courses, including with the invitation of foreign specialists;
- Support of beginning entrepreneurs in the implementation of innovative projects in the field of developing ICT products in perspective directions